What is customer service? It’s a simple little concept that you appreciate the people that buy your goods and/or services. For example, we pay quite a large sum of money to an insurance carrier. We have bought their goods. (Ok, that’s almost laughable considering what I think of insurance carriers.) Now, the carrier was nice enough to give us a dedicate representative. That is so much better than the “team” approach which rarely results in any customer service because notes are rarely updated.
Silly me calls my representative today. I have 5 invoices to authorize payment on. Some have HUGE credits. I can’t balance how they applied the funds to what I have listed. All I wanted was the amount they received and how it was applied. Three calls and 8 hours later we have discovered:
- She misunderstood what I wanted
- With her misunderstanding, I wasn’t going to get what I needed today
- Knowing I wasn’t getting the information I needed today, she fails to relay that information
- I reiterate what I’m looking for (call #2)
- She sends a spreadsheet WITH THE SAME INFORMATION I ALREADY HAVE and I found an error in her information, which she acknowledged was incorrect
- Clearly she still didn’t understand what I needed
- Now it’s been escalated to the finance department
- I knew that’s who I needed to speak with because I clearly stated what I needed
This is an example of bad customer service. Don’t provide bad customer service. Just listen and ask for clarification if you’re unsure. Otherwise I sit in my office, with my door (you know who this is directed at lol) and swear about poor customer service.
It’s Friday and there’s a drink in my future in about 60 minutes…just saying!