A less-known tidbit about me is that I am a certified wedding planner. I really would like to pursue this as a full-time career one day. Right now, I offer some planning solutions and have planned and executed a few weddings for friends.
Part of my certification was to plan a themed wedding. We were given some parameters and the following was the outcome of the assignment. One day I hope to make this particular themed-wedding a reality.
Wedding Theme: Casablanca
- Wedding can take place outside; reception inside
- Facility has a fireplace, stage with a piano, tables/chairs for reception on-site, dance floor, full kitchen and raised area for buffet.
- Groom’s Attire: white jacket tuxedo with black pants
- Bride’s Attire: vintage-style wedding dress
- Music: Piano player and singer
- It’s not the typical wedding. In addition to the couple dressing up, the guests also will have the option to dress in zoot suites, pinstripes, feather boas or similar 1940s attire.
- The outside has an arch that can be decorated and rental chairs placed outside for the ceremony.
- This venue has a stage, setting up a screen and playing the movie Casablanca during the cocktail hour would be relatively simple. Perhaps serving popcorn and/or nuts during the cocktail hour would be a nice accompaniment to the movie.
- Martinis could be the signature drink for the evening. Beer and wine would be served for those who aren’t martini fans.
- Waitstaff could be dressed in tuxedos and wear fez hats to bring in the Moroccan feel as that’s where Casablanca is located.
- Everyone knows Humphrey Bogart smoked cigars in the movie, so there needs to be a smoking option, which this venue allows. Maybe purchase a box or two of cigars to be placed on the bar.
- Favors could be candy cigarettes.
That’s a quick snapshot of my Casablanca-themed wedding (created in February 2010). This presentation earned me an “A” for the assignment. The venue I chose is a local venue that could accommodate this theme.