Reblog: Originally posted on, A Momma’s View.
I’ve had conversations about this very topic with a lot of people. I have several breastfeeding mom friends. They go through an awful time when they are in public.
I shared this blog post because one, I have seen and I LOVE the bad-ass breastfeeding momma in the picture.
I also want to say, if you have a problem with a mother, in the USA, breastfeeding her child, please note:
- What you would do in her situation is irrelevant (nurse in the car, use a blanket, seek out a discreet location).
- You DO NOT have a right to intimidate the mother and make her feel wrong about nursing in public because your beliefs, upbringing or whatever else doesn’t agree with her decision doesn’t count.
- Know it’s a Federal law and breastfeeding women are a protected class; including in the work-place.
- If you’re worried about your young children witnessing breastfeeding, use it as a teaching opportunity that this is how mammals (including humans) feed their children and it’s OK.
- If you still have a problem with it, Shut-up or Get up (and leave the area-quietly)
I support those mothers who acknowledge their children need to eat and do the responsible thing and feed them, when they need to be fed; on the child’s schedule, not the public’s.
I seriously wonder what’s wrong with people. Why is it a problem to breastfeed in public? Why do people get offended by it? If you don’t want to see it then just don’t look! Turn your head and don’t look!
It’s the most natural thing in life. I don’t believe that mothers want to shock people, that they want to find a way to show their boobs. They just feed their babies.
Why do you think people feel offended by public breastfeeding?