“Our uniqueness, our individuality, and our life experience molds us into fascinating beings. I hope we can embrace that. I pray we may all challenge ourselves to delve into the deepest resources of our hearts to cultivate an atmosphere of understanding, acceptance, tolerance, and compassion. We are all in this life together.” (Linda Thompson)
As I was hugging my precocious nine-year old good-bye this morning, the following conversation occurred:
Lil miss: Mommy, you’re really white.
Me: Yes, dear, I was born this way.
Lil miss: White like a vampire’s butt.
I am Irish descent; I’m white as rice. My adorable meztisa (half Filipina/half white) child is a beautiful caramel color. As she puts it, her mom is light, she is medium and her dad is dark. I love her analogies. She never ceases to amaze me with her perspectives.
A less-known tidbit about me is that I am a certified wedding planner. I really would like to pursue this as a full-time career one day. Right now, I offer some planning solutions and have planned and executed a few weddings for friends.
Part of my certification was to plan a themed wedding. We were given some parameters and the following was the outcome of the assignment. One day I hope to make this particular themed-wedding a reality.
Wedding Theme: Casablanca
- Wedding can take place outside; reception inside
- Facility has a fireplace, stage with a piano, tables/chairs for reception on-site, dance floor, full kitchen and raised area for buffet.
- Groom’s Attire: white jacket tuxedo with black pants
- Bride’s Attire: vintage-style wedding dress
- Music: Piano player and singer
- It’s not the typical wedding. In addition to the couple dressing up, the guests also will have the option to dress in zoot suites, pinstripes, feather boas or similar 1940s attire.
- The outside has an arch that can be decorated and rental chairs placed outside for the ceremony.
- This venue has a stage, setting up a screen and playing the movie Casablanca during the cocktail hour would be relatively simple. Perhaps serving popcorn and/or nuts during the cocktail hour would be a nice accompaniment to the movie.
- Martinis could be the signature drink for the evening. Beer and wine would be served for those who aren’t martini fans.
- Waitstaff could be dressed in tuxedos and wear fez hats to bring in the Moroccan feel as that’s where Casablanca is located.
- Everyone knows Humphrey Bogart smoked cigars in the movie, so there needs to be a smoking option, which this venue allows. Maybe purchase a box or two of cigars to be placed on the bar.
- Favors could be candy cigarettes.
That’s a quick snapshot of my Casablanca-themed wedding (created in February 2010). This presentation earned me an “A” for the assignment. The venue I chose is a local venue that could accommodate this theme.